Monday, February 27, 2012

Debian: smart ndiswrapper install and configure how-to

Now we look to install and configure ndiswrapper for our debian...

apt-cache search ndiswrapper
if no results... add a good repository location into your sources.list
In my case I add this line into /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://www.edmondweblog.com/repo/binary/ stable main
after I run: apt-get update
and now when I search for ndiswrapper I found it.....

So I need to install three things:
- ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
- wireless-tools
- linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 (this only for my case.... you have to install the appropriate for your version...)

And you obtain it giving those commands...:
apt-get install wireless-tools
aptitude install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
(this last command will download and install for you the correct version, for your operative system version, of  linux-headers[....])

Then I run 
echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
to add ndiswrapper module to system startup modules list loading


now I give ndiswrapper -l 
to list ndiswrapper modules charged....
for now list is empty.... Only when I correctly configured the module I found something as result of this command....

ndiswrapper -i Desktop/WLAN/NETw3.inf
to install the driver 
then if I give  
ndiswrapper -l 
and my result is something like this:
netr28 : driver installed
I sounds like the driver is installed but the device is not present....(probably you have not the right driver...)
Give this to unistall:
ndiswrapper -e netr28
...where netr28 is the name of the driver(different for you.....)

If the result is something like this:
netr28 : driver installed
device (1814:0781) present (alternate driver: rt2860sta)

You have correctly done the driver installation....
Now configure it with:
modprobe ndiswrapper

Give iwlist command to verify if all is done.....

PROBLEM:
in my case the command
modprobe ndiswrapper
give tis result:
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
It means that probably you have to recompile the ndiswrapper package....
The package you have is not correctly for you linux-headers......
So:
apt-get install ndiswrapper-source
this command install for you also module-assistant package....
then run:
m-a a-i ndiswrapper
at the end of process the correct version of ndiswrapper is ready for you....

ANOTHER PROBLEM:
In my case I need to force to not load, at boot, the pre-ndiswrapper wifi module.... loaded as default....
So I need to edit blacklist.conf giving.... 
vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
I add this row at the and of the file:
blacklist rt2860sta
Where rt2860sta were the wifi module loaded.... I found it by giving

lsmod

Restart the system and all is done!!!! 

Ps.: for troubleshootings I found this page

Bye.....

No comments:

Post a Comment